24.ask no odds 不要求特殊照顾
odds作名词时指的是“奇特的事物,怪人或奇数”,而短语ask no odds的意思为“不要求特殊照顾”。
A: Mr. Green, may I have a talk with you? 格林先生,我可以和你谈谈吗?
B: Of course. Wait a minute. Ok, now, what can I do for you, Miss? 当然可以了。请稍等。好啦,小姐,有什么我可以为您效劳的吗?
A: I ask no odds, I just want you to be fair and square. 我不要求特殊照顾,我只要求您公正。
B: I think I’m always fair and square. 我觉得我一直都是很公正的。
A: But not this time. I’ve done the most of the sales but you spilt the profit among all of us. 但这次把不是。我完成了大部分销售额,而你给我们所有人分配利润。
25.at a loose end 无所事事,无所适从
此语可以追溯到19世纪中期。一说此语源自航海,原表示“(绳索的)一端末系住”。一说原指“(衣带)垂下”。该语常有“因没有事做而感到不满”的含义。此语亦可作at loose ends。
来源:考试大
A: It seems that he is unhappy. 看起来他不很高兴。
B: You’re right. He has been out of work for a long time. 就是。他已有些日子没工作了。
A: Have no any chance to try again? 没有什么机会再来一次吗?
B: No. So he is in low spirits. Don’t talk about the matter of work with him. OK? 没有。所以他情绪低落。别和他谈论工作的事,好吗?
A: Yeah. I got it. 我明白。
B: Thank you for caring about him and coming to see him. 谢谢你关心他,还来看他。
A: You’re welcome. I know everyone of us will feel discomfortable when we’re at a loose end. 别客气,我知道一个人无事可干的时候很不舒服。
完整内容请点击:http://www.examda.com/bec/Guide/20061230/085634195.html